For He looks to the ends of the earth, and sees under the whole heavens, to establish a weight (pressure) for the wind, and apportion the waters by measure. When He made a law for the rain and a path for the thunderbolt…” – Job 28: 24 – 26
Image Source: http://forecast.weather.gov/jetstream/atmos/pressure.html
1. We have only understood the concept of atmospheric pressure for a few hundred years
2. In 1643, an Italian scientist by the name of Evangelista Torricelli (1608 – 1647) invented the barometer and proved the existence of atmospheric pressure
- The barometer is a device that enables atmospheric pressure to be measured
- “Atmospheric pressure is caused by the weight of the atmosphere pushing down on itself and on the surface below it. Pressure is defined as the force acting on an object divided by the area upon which the force is acting.” 1
3. Isn’t it interesting that Job is penning the words to these verses more than 3,600 years earlier than Torricelli’s invention?
- Job is recognizing that air (wind) has mass
4. The Bible is accurate in its meteorology
5. Incidentally, the impact of Barometric Pressure on the weather pretty much holds to the following:
Source (including image): http://forecast.weather.gov/jetstream/atmos/pressure.html
6. Incidentally, the impact of Barometric Pressure on the weather pretty much holds to this.
- http://nova.stanford.edu/projects/mod-x/id-pres.html http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14784a.html ↩