“The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork. Day unto day utters speech, and night unto night reveals knowledge. There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard. Their line has gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world.
In them He has set a tabernacle for the sun, which is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoices like a strong man to run its race. Its rising is from one end of heaven, and its circuit to the other end; and there is nothing hidden from its heat.” – Psalm 19: 1 – 6
1. “We now know that the sun moves in a “circuit” or circular course, at speeds approaching 486,000 miles per hour, within one of the spiral arms of the Milky Way Galaxy
- In turn, the Milky Way is hurtling through space at an estimated speed of 1,340,000 miles per hour!”
- Incidentally, there is a trans-Atlantic debate going on as to how many stars are in our Galaxy – somewhere between 200 billion and 400 billion
- Most Galaxies (and most searches on the internet will erroneously report there are only 100 billion) 1
2. Also, the Milky Way is part of the Andromeda and Magellanic Clouds or Group of Galaxies that seem to revolve around one another.
- Referred to as the “Local Group”, there are about 50 of these galaxies that revolve around one another…
- These in turn revolve around the center of what is called the Virgo Super Cluster Galaxy, which may contain something like 47,000 galaxies of which ours is but one…
- There are estimated to be 100 billion galaxies in the entire Universe 2
3. The Milky Way galaxy has a whopping circumference of roughly 250-300 thousand light years!
- The Earth’s solar system is believed to exist very close to the Galaxy’s galactic plane, due to the fact that the Milky Way essentially divides the night sky into two virtually equal hemispheres. 3
4. The galaxy system was first theorized to exist by a Greek philosopher named Democritus (460 – 370 BC)
- The first we had proof that galaxies existed, was back in 1781 thanks to a French astronomer named Charles Messier
- The first we understood that the galaxies rotated (and our sun revolved around the Milky Way) was in 1914 – based on some experiments by an American astronomer named Vesto Melvin Slipher 4
5. David is penning these words @ 1000 BC
6. The Bible is accurate in its astronomy when it says that the sun is in a circular or revolving path of its own
- http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/AngelaChan.shtml, http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=96 ↩
- http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/PatriciaKong.shtml, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercluster ↩
- http://jyte.com/cl/the-milky-way-galaxy-has-a-estimated-circumference-of-250-300-thousand-light-years, http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/PatriciaKong.shtml ↩
- http://www.astrodigital.org/astronomy/milkywaygalaxy.html, http://www.windows2universe.org/the_universe/uts/timeline.html, http://todayinsci.com/M/Messier_Charles/Messier_Charles.htm, http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Sept05/Sofue/Sofue1.html ↩