1. It is interesting that the Scripture all along contained the pattern for how to bring about pain relief
- The Hebrew word used here for “deep sleep” is “tardemah” – it goes well beyond normal sleep and is meant to convey a “trance-like state” or “sleep that is preventative of pain” 1
2. In fact, physicians and dentists alike in the 1800’s began to see the value of putting nerves to sleep so as to prevent pain.
3. It’s interesting how many of the great scientists of history, were ‘Bible-believing’ Christians. Dr. James Simpson was responsible for the discovery of chloroform’s anesthetic qualities. He was the president of Britain’s Royal Medical Society in the 1800’s and was the personal physician to the Queen. Eventually, he was knighted by the Queen.
- He cited Genesis 2: 21 – 22 in defense of anesthesia, when arguing with some ill-informed clergy who believed it was God’s will for people to suffer 2
- Incidentally, Simpson, is considered the father of obstetric anesthesia 3
4. The Bible is accurate in its anesthesiology