Prophecy Concerning the City-State of Sidon
Ezekiel also spoke against the city-state of Sidon:
“and say, “Thus says the Lord GOD: “Behold, I am against you, O Sidon; I will be glorified in your midst; and they shall know that I am the LORD, when I execute judgments in her and am hallowed in her. For I will send pestilence upon her, and blood in her streets; the wounded shall be judged in her midst by the sword against her on every side; then they shall know that I am the LORD.” Ezekiel 28: 22, 23
Instead of extinction, this passage points to a bloody future awaiting Sidon. This has been Sidon’s lot over time. A quick snapshot of its history is as follows:
* In 351BC, some 40,000 Sidonians were killed while fighting the Persians.
* Many fierce battles were fought here during the Crusades. The city was captured three timesby the Crusaders only to be retaken each time by the Moslems.
* Many fierce battles were fought here between the Druses and the Turks.
* In 1840, it was bombarded by the fleets of the British, French and Turks at separate point.
* Even today, Sidon is the scene of many terrorist activities and guerilla warfare in modern day Lebanon.